Poe Inspired Halloween Card:


I was super excited to find this stamp in the store.  It is a Stampendous Stamp.  I knew I just had to have it even with it not being a Stampin’ Up! stamp, but again I just had to get it.   Just becuase it represented Edjar Alan Poe, which is one of my favorite authors.

The card was designed to show off the spirit of Halloween and all the colors that come with the joy of the Halloween Season.    So lets talk about the materials that was used to create this card.   The card base is a standard size A2 card cut at 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 scored at 4 1/4.  The Very Vanilla card front is cut at 5 1/4 x 4.  A peice of Pumpkin Pie card stock cut at 4 3/4 x 3 3/4, watercolor sheet cut down to 2 7/8 x 4 1/2.   Some Prismacolor Pencils, liquid watercolors, or reinkers, clear embossing powder.

You will want to use your watercolors to fill the watercolor paper.  I painted it using Dick Blicks Liquid watercolors, because they are dye based and a little brighter then tradational watercolors.   You want to paint it dry if you are using the liquid watercolors becuase with watercolors, they flow and lighten up when you wet the paper.   This is due to the fact that when you put water to paper then add paint it flows where there is water.   I choose to use dry paper to make the colors brighter that way I didn’t have to layer each color again.   I used Yellow, Yellow orange, Orange, Red, Red Violet, Violet, and Blue to create the background.   After I dryed the background I inked up the stamp with Versamark and added Clear Embossing powder.  I am really doing a altered Watercolor Resist technique.   After the embossing powder is cooled I brayered over this with black ranger ink.   The embossing powder keeps the ink from excepting the ink.

After the image is all inked up I used a paper towel to whip off the ink that sits ontop of the embossed image.   Make sure you do not use a baby wipe to do this it will pull off the embossed image and the watercolors underneath.   Afterwards I stamped the image again and fussy cut out the raven from that image.   I used black ink to do this.   After cutting it out and doing some hand coloring with my Prismacolor pencils, I poped it up on demisonals.   I used Prismacolor black, warm gray 20%, 30%, French Gray 50%, yellow orange, yellow chartreous, and Chartreous to add a little more color to the raven and the witches had.   Like I said it really wasn’t that hard.

After assembling the card I stamped the inside of the card with Happy Haunting from Stampin’ Up!’s Cheer All Year Stamp Set.